Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Week 7, #16 - Wikis

The Discovery Resources for this week were super - they really gave me a good overview.
WIKIS ARE GREAT!!! Yeah, I know it's upsetting that anyone can add/edit/change entries, but I think inappropriate edits are caught and corrected in most cases. In my mind, any disadvantages are far outweighed by the advantages - easy to use, flexible, and as expansive as users desire.
The Book Lovers' Wiki was wonderful - I'd really like to see SJPL have one. I also liked the Library Success Wiki - what a great way to share best practices.
There are numerous ways libraries could use wikis. Resource guides/pathfinders, annotating the library catalog, community guides, referral guides, etc. Also, I think they can be a great communication tool for staff - kind of like an open, ongoing all-staff meeting! I think it's time to start a wiki at my branch!

No comments: